I've been told by those in the know that the eerie looking creature pictured above is almost an exact duplicate of an ancient underwater specimen that was used by the Cherokee Indians and the early settlers for stubborn ear wax removal sometime around the 1700's and on until the late 1890's. They all claimed that the beastly looking critter was very easy to use. Exactly how it was used is unclear but the word 'easy' is not the first word that would come to mind if that creature was roaming around my ears ready to remove the stubborn wax buildup that was prompting its services in the first place.
And to think that after all this time I had actually assumed that I had made him totally from my twisted imagination.
The other day was such a beautiful day that I decided to cruise out for an hour or so with Little Gargoyle and we ended up at a local cemetery where I found a long lost ancestor that had served during the Civil War in the Confederate Infantry.
That's pretty cool information for someone to find out ... unless they thought that they were of devoted Blue Belly lineage.
I'm going back to work now ... that's too much excitement for one day.
I finally completed this creature that I started several months ago and my wife has been calling it 'Mr. Lipps Johnson' so I decided, what the hell.
You can't clearly see all of the scale work that I've done in these pics but they look pretty good close up. I was going for a hard shell-like look. Mr. Lipps has club hands and feet and a gigantic set of lips. Size is 17" high x 14" wide x 13" deep and is free standing. I regret not taking any progressive pics of his development but I did shot a few shots of Lipps after my yellow base coat. I was experimenting with a couple of new materials and I decided to use them on this little guy.
I'm pleased with how he came together. And now I've got bigger plans for more pieces using the same techniques and materials. More on this later.
The hands after partial fiberglassing. Notice that the fingers have no fiberglass. I will Bondo the fingers and use an epoxy putty to smooth the fingers at the ends and around the claws.
This is the arms with holes drilled to mate with the hands. This is only for a temporary hold. I'll apply Bondo between the joints once I fit the hands to the arms and get the proper angle that the hands need to be in relationship to a wall.
Prior to smoothing the Bondo joints ... the hands are allowed to cure completely.
Front on view of the head of the gargoyle. The eyes were rolled from an epoxy putty and then sawed in two when hardened. Hot-glued in place.
This creature is a combination of two arms, two hands, a head, body, and a tail. There will be no legs. What I am going after is a unique body style that has dominant arms and powerful clawed paws that allows movement including climbing.
Technorati Claim Token:DEFCPMSY5FTH
Side view of the eye placement.
A shot of the head prior to the eyes. Keep this form in mind as this project proceeds. This head is newspaper and tape construction with a thin layer or two of fiberglass.